In which Carrie is grateful and excited…
I woke up this morning feeling happier than I had a week ago. It isn’t like “happiness” is my goal-in-life exactly, but it is interesting to notice changes in its dimensions and degrees, somewhat cyclically predictable.
I think I’ve taken a total of three good pictures in my life and the one below, taken in the Three Sisters Wilderness at a glacial lake in Broken Top’s bowl, is how I feel today. A little bit “communist” perhaps, but more like love.
I listed the several “reasons” for this burst of good I feel in my journal, and I’ll elaborate a little on those rough thoughts below:
- There was a text message from a friend in my phone asking if I was up late last night. I snoozed through that, but felt a little bit like I did when we had those little handmade “mailboxes” in fifth grade where kids would put their valentines, homemade or store bought, and often filled with those sugary candies with the words on them. I’m big into words.
- It is raining, and everything looks pretty and smells junipery!
- The Nugget Newspaper published my letter to the editor complementing local high school students for being so courteous to guests at their school.
- I watched Iron Lady last night and remembered to look up the quote I wasn’t sure was attributed to Margaret Thatcher or someone else. Turns out it was someone else, and quite congruent with a little side project tentatively called “my life.”
“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”
― Lao Tzu
- And, last, it is the launch of the central Oregon Socrates Cafe tonight. My curiosity about a million anticipations is brimming. I’ve been using the insect picture (below) as our “insignia” for now. It isn’t a true gadfly (I don’t think) but it would “bug” me if it landed on my shoulder and started questioning me.